Application Scientist II
Colorado based MycoTechnology, Inc. is a food technology company that has developed a novel food processing platform using gourmet fungi to transform agricultural products by improving taste, value and nutritional characteristics. MycoTechnology developed the world’s first organic bitter blocker, ClearTaste™, which directly removes the need for sugar in foods by blocking the perception of unwanted taste, including bitterness, astringency, and other flavor defects in various food products. The largest food companies around the world are looking to use the technology to reformulate products to be healthier for consumers. ClearTaste™ is 100% natural, GMO free, chemical free, and certified organic. MycoTechnology recently introduced PureTaste™, a high quality, neutral tasting, complete vegan protein, that has the nutritional profile unlike any other protein on the market. Its PureTaste™ production facility will open in Q4 2018, creating over 60 new career opportunities.
The Application Scientist II position is an integral part of the MycoTechnology customer team and is directly responsible for the technical-to-technical relationship with customers assigned to him/her. The role’s primary function is to support the development of food and beverage prototypes utilizing MycoTechnology’s current and future ingredient platforms.
- Develop, organize, manage, and coordinate customer-specific projects. Assist in the development/implementation of other key internal innovation projects.
- Provide technical expertise within the department as a beginning expert in a specific discipline, keeping current with the latest developments and technology through investigation, training, and communication within that discipline.
- Exhibit an innovative mindset in discovery, advancement, and evaluation of new technologies in the area of food/process development, which can have a significant impact on customers, through improved products or processes.
- Provide innovative, timely, and cost-effective improvements, concepts, developments, or scientific insights with respect to new or existing products or processes.
- Develops prototypes that meet the food and financial objectives outlined by the customer or internal brief Collaborates with other ingredient suppliers to ensure the use of most up to date ingredients and technologies.
- Fully documents all project formulas and testing results in lab notebook.
- Determines critical ingredient specification parameters and communicates these to customers.
- Works with Regulatory and Corporate Compliance team to identify potential allergen and safety issues. Also confirms that nutritional requirements are met if nutritional guidelines were given as part of the project brief.
- Support sales team by participation in customer meetings and discussions whenever appropriate. Showcases food/beverages prototypes corresponding to customer’s objectives. Proactively investigates the technical feasibility of concepts for development.
- Sets up appropriate shelf life and sensory testing plans if required in the project brief.
- If required, support customer’s lab, pilot plant or scale up trials.
- Develop and manages project budgets including monthly reporting of variance and monthly reforecast of needs.
- Plan and lead projects of varying complexity with minimal supervision.
- Make recommendations on new products and processes.
- Assess the feasibility of proposed projects and generate alternative solutions.
- Research consumer and/or competitive trends to provide ideas for new product development or improvement of existing products.
- Communicate effectively and influence project direction both internally and externally.
- Develop test plans and work with plants to execute small – medium – large project tests and start-ups. Demonstrated the ability to solve problems that arise during plant testing and scale-up.
- Effectively utilize internal and external resources for efficient project execution.
- Identify opportunities to leverage ingredient and/or flavor suppliers as external resources.
- Understand when to bring together key players to resolve project related issues and coordinates resources to solve technical problems in an efficient and timely manner.
- Analyze the competitive set and understand competitor technology differences. Learn to conduct competitive set analysis and consumer need gap analysis.
- Utilize the knowledge of other team members’ and functions to push for effective project execution.
- Leverage business knowledge to decrease project time/costs. Critically assesses and challenges other function’s strategies as they relate to projects.
Coaches and Collaborates
- Function effectively as a part of a project team, as leader, team member or technical expert. Facilitates the participation of appropriate resources by giving general direction to assigned team. Works effectively as a leader or team member.
- Remain aware of business strategies and provides input toward execution of the strategies. Is willing to challenge product direction from sales team.
- Take a firm and confident stance to uphold MycoTechnology image standards. Appropriately addresses both project and non-project related issues when encountered.
- Recognize opportunities to make improvements to key policies and processes within the department and proposes changes.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Minimum requirement: Bachelor’s in food technology/Science (MS preferred) with substantial expertise in product development. Ideally, 3-5 years of experience required.
- The incumbent must possess leadership, cost consciousness, communication skills, and diplomacy that will promote good relations with internal/external clients and other technical and scientific disciplines in the effective execution of projects to accomplish the MycoTechnology’s objectives.
- Experience operating a MicroThermics or similar equipment a plus.
- The ability to travel approximately 30% of the time.
MycoTechnology is in the Denver metro area. We offer a competitive compensation package and a full benefits package that includes 401(k), paid vacation and paid holidays.
Posted: January 2019