Contract Associate Scientist
The Associate Scientist is responsible for the execution of MycoTechnology’s Research and Development initiatives in biological and chemical sciences, focused on making food grade products utilizing our food processing platform with mushrooms. Designs and executes experiments to meet company goals.
- Help designing experiments and analyze a variety of samples to provide interpretive information on compounds and assay activities.
- Have good aseptic technique and is familiar with microbial culture in flasks and bench-top bioreactors.
- Able to follow protocols for the analysis of food products and chemicals using analytical methods and instrumentation, such as gas and high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC, LC-MS, LC-MS-MS, etc.), bio-analytical assays, robotic automation and spectroscopy (infrared and ultraviolet, among others).
- Help maintain and troubleshoot instruments.
- Evaluate the nutrition value, color, flavor and texture of food.
- Ensure food manufacturing processes conform with government, processing, consumer and industry standards.
- Interpret data and adhere to strict guidelines on documentation when recording data.
- Awareness of and keep up to date with health and safety issues.
- Facilitate decision making and display technical competence in the planning and completion of assigned projects.
- Demonstrate tactical thinking skills to drive projects and challenge conventional wisdom.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Biology, Chemistry, Food Science or relevant field from an accredited college or university.
- 2+ years’ experience in the food industry (flavor, fermentation, ingredients).
- Strong technical knowledge in food product development/formulation.
- Good organizational skills with strong attention to detail.
- Able to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Able to work in a team and adapt to a dynamic work environment including changing priorities and quick turnaround projects.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills to present ideas in an understandable, non-technical manner to internal and external constituencies.
- Excellent record-keeping skills.
- Able to work a flexible schedule.
- Master’s degree in Biology, Chemistry, Food Science or relevant field from an accredited college or university.
This is a contract position with expected duration of 6 months and the potential to be hired on staff.
Posted: July 2020